My husband comes home from work one morning, and says, "So and So wants to know if you can make her a pig hat & an owl hat for Christmas." I said, "Sure, when does she need them by?" He gave me a look, and I knew I was screwed!! I had 2 hats to do in a DAY and never done a pig hat before. So I just came up with my own pattern.
I think it turned out quite nicely. - This size fits a teen-adult.
- Yarn in your color of choice.
- 2 Buttons for eyes.
- Spare yarn to stuff the nose (I didn't use much.)
- Size H Hook
- Darning needle to weave in ends.
Round 1; Make a magic circle and double crochet 10 in it. Join with slip stitch. (10 DC)
Round 2; 2 Double Crochet in each double crochet around. Join with Slip Stitch. (20 DC)
Round 3; 1 Double Crochet in same stitch, 2 in next, (1 Double Crochet in 1 stitch, 2 in next.) Repeat around. Join with Slip Stitch. (30 DC)
Round 4; 1 Double Crochet in same stitch & next, 2 in the next. (1 Double Crochet in next 2, 2 Double Crochet in next.) Repeat around. Join with Slip Stitch. (40 DC)
Round 5; 1 Double Crochet in same stitch and next 2; 2 in next. (1 Double Crochet in next 3, 2 Double Crochet in next.) Repeat around. Join with Slip Stitch. (50 DC)
Round 6; 1 Double Crochet in same stitch & next 3; 2 in next. (1 Double Crochet in next 4, 2 Double Crochet in next.) Repeat Around. Join with Slip Stitch. (60 DC)
Rounds 7-17; HALF DOUBLE crochet in each stitch around. Join at the end with a slip stitch. (60 DC)
Round 18; SINGLE CROCHET in all Half Double Crochet around! Join at the end with a slip stitch. Finish off & weave in ends!
DO NOT JOIN ROUNDS - Worked in a continual spiral!
1. Make Magic Circle & chain 1; Work 10 Single Crochet in the loop.
2. 2 Half Double Crochet in each Stitch around. (20)
3. Work 1 Half Double Crochet in first stitch, 2 in next stitch! Repeat 7 times. for 30 stitches total.
4. Single Crochet in each Half Double Crochet.
Stuff your snout if you wish & sew it onto your hat in the appropriate place!
Ears (make 2)
1. Chain 10. & then do 1 Single Crochet in 2nd chain from hook, then work 8 more across. Chain 1, TURN.
2. 9 Single Crochet across. Chain 1- Turn.
3. 9 Single Crochet across. Chain 1 - Turn.
4. SC2TOG - Single Crochet 5 Times - SC2TOG - Chain 1 - Turn.
5. 7 Single Crochet across. Chain 1 - Turn.
6. SC2TOG - Single Crochet 3 Times - SC2TOG - Chain 1 - Turn.
7. 5 Single Crochet Across. Chain 1 - Turn.
8. SC2TOG - Single Crochet 1 - SC2TOG - Chain 1 - Turn.
9. 3 Single Crochet Across - Chain 1 - Turn.
10. SC2TOG - TWICE -
11. SC2TOG - Once, Break Off Yarn - Weave in ends!
I did a single crochet border around the ear. Break off your ends - but make sure you leave a LONG tail to sew your ears onto your hat. When you get to the middle of the part you are sewing it onto your hat, kind of bunch it up, a little!
Here's a video that tells you how to SC2TOG!! It's pretty easy!
Now just sew your buttons (as eyes) onto your hat & you are done!! I was going to put a curly tail on mine, but I absolutely ran out of time!!